This role is ideal for someone who is deeply optimistic about the future but recognizes we’ve got an uphill battle ahead of us to heal the planet, restore democracy, and spread opportunity. The emphasis will be on climate investing and what we’re building over at Lowercarbon Capital, but this role will also provide exposure to the broader worlds of venture capital, tech, politics, and philanthropy. It’s a lot of ground to cover, so ability to learn on the job will be more important than ticking all the boxes. That said, some science, engineering or technical training will come in handy. Startup or venture experience might give you a head start, but we feel it’s important to note that we don’t consider either a prerequisite and look forward to meeting with a diverse group of candidates.
We should also mention this is a full-time role based in Brooklyn, New York.
Did we mention that you’ll have the opportunity to work with some of the most inspiring founders and activists in the world? The role supports the entire Lowercase and Lowercarbon portfolios in working with early-stage companies, non-profits, and other organizations that are aligned with our mission. At its heart, our work is about evaluating investment opportunities, understanding their potential to succeed, supporting their growth, and communicating their vision. As an analyst, your day-to-day responsibilities will vary, sometimes significantly, but definitely include:
- Communication: Above all, this role will involve writing to carefully and precisely express a point of view, distill original research, and articulate complex ideas
- Research: Keeping a close eye on startup, academic, and non-profit circles, the role will involve surveying new developments and emerging technologies across many fields
- Presenting: Creating external-facing presentation materials for meetings, pitches, and presentations (e.g., memos, decks, and other analysis)
- Internal Projects: This role entails ownership of discrete internal projects that will allow Lowercase to scale our impact faster and farther
You should also anticipate occasional travel to conferences and other events.
SKILLS & BACKGROUND
While this role has many dimensions, the majority of your time will be spent in support of Lowercarbon Capital advancing planet-healing technologies that reduce CO2 emissions, remove carbon from the atmosphere, and lessen the effects of rising temperatures. Scientific aptitude is required, and specific technical training is definitely a plus. So is experience working with technology. You should have at least three years of relevant work experience. If you’re more senior and this sounds like your dream job, don’t be shy about reaching out. Here are some other characteristics we suspect will come in handy in this role:
- Excellent verbal and written communicator: You’re able to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders in-person; comfortable drafting memos or written works for a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Holistic research abilities: You have a curious sensibility, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to be credible in the targeted subject.
- Intuitive design skills: You’re able to take a broad set of concepts and create a cohesive visual narrative.
- Highly attentive to detail: You take pride in the accuracy and polish of your work. Whether it’s an internal memo or a conference presentation, you sweat the details.
- Creative thinker: You enjoy thinking about big problems and exploring hard (and sometimes outlandish) solutions. You’ve got to be comfortable admitting what you don’t know, nurturing the creativity of others, and being open to feedback.
- High ownership: While we work on big ideas, it’s still a small team so you’ve got to be comfortable knowing that sometimes you’ll have to coordinate meetings, take notes, and play a variety of roles on a small team covering a lot of ground.
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please send the following materials to email@example.com with the subject line, “[YOUR LAST NAME] Analyst Application”:
- One-page résumé, attached or linked
- Names and emails for three references
- Cover letter in the body of the email
- Lastly, please also mention three companies or organizations we probably haven’t heard of that are changing the world. In one sentence, describe their super powers.
We believe diversity is a source of strength. Lowercase Capital is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.